« Home | Odds and ends » | Wanted: a federalist strategy for Québec » | Layton's foreign policy: withdrawal » | The Sachs plan for ending poverty » | Layton's smile of the day » | Spending in the currency of ideas » | CNN highlights famine in Malawi » | Fighting for a breakthrough » | The campaign from yesterday » | The Ignatieff saga » 

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 

Why I didn't vote Liberal


I've discovered that I don't think I would be a very good partisan. Someday I'd like to run for public office, likely under the Liberal banner, but I don't think I'm very good at sticking to party dogma at all costs. This might end up to be problematic. I consider myself a Liberal deep down, but I have no problem with criticizing Liberal policies or statements, or applauding them, for that matter. The same goes for anything coming from the Tories or the NDP. Sometimes I go even further than simply criticism of the Liberals - this election, I've temporarily shifted allegiances in what I see to be the best interests of the country and the party. I hope that none of those who know me disown me because of this, but I cast my ballot last week, and I voted for Stephen Harper's Conservatives. This isn't a fundamental shift in how I see the country - Liberal principles of equality, justice, strong social programmes with responsible fiscal management and a strong central government continue to resound strongly with me. But I'm convinced that a Liberal vote from me isn't the best way to achieve that.

Now, I know what the first response to this will be - trying to convince me that Harper would create a Canada that none of us would recognize (to paraphrase Paul Martin). He would allow rampant two-tier health care - in fact, he would privatize all of our public services. He would essentially turn Canada into the international lapdog of the United States. He would roll back same-sex marriage. He refuses to defend a woman's right to choose. He would eat our children and cute animals like rabbits and puppies. He doesn't love Canada, for goodness' sakes! Now, some of this is true and valid, and some of it is not - I leave you to decide for yourself which is which. The criticisms that are made of Harper along similar lines as above often border on the ad hominem and really do nothing to raise the level of debate. I admit readily that I disagree with some of Harper's policy planks (such as trying some 14-year olds as adults! Gah!), and if he becomes our Prime Minister, I'll likely disagree with lots of what he does. But this brings me to my next point.

Why, some of you are asking, in God's name are you voting for the man if you disagree with him on these policy issues? Well, in all honesty, there's plenty I disagree with policy-wise from each of the leaders, so it's difficult to plant myself firmly in one camp in that regard. For me, it came down to more long-term questions.

Are current Liberal policies towards Quebec viable in the long-term? The question would be easier to answer if there were some coherent ones. Despite Paul Martin's attempts to portray him as Captain Canada as it were, the only man capable of beating back separatism and achieving national unity, his actions haven't much impressed me. And the notion of a 'OUI' referendum win terrifies me to death. I'm not at all a fan of assymetrical federalism - I don't think it's a good idea at all to be signing side deals with each province all the time instead of looking at things from a national perspective. Are there different needs in different provinces? Yes, and everyone should be treated equally in that they get what they need - but I think there should be much more of a focus on national agreements and partnerships than special deals with each province. It just rubs me the wrong way. And it's starting to grate to hear Paul Martin floundering around in Quebec as the Bloc continues to surge. I don't know how best to deal with Quebec, I admit - but surely we can do better than the current Liberal tack in the province. Yes, you point out, but Stephen Harper will be worse. Maybe. But I think we've got to give it a shot and let someone new try. If he can't cut it? Well, that brings me to my next point.

Do we really want more than 13 years of government by one party? The Liberals have been in power since 1993, and they've done a decent job. The slaying of the deficit was impressive and important, and we can now concentrate on new spending priorities. (Note: to those of you who blame Martin for putting the bulk of the weight on the provinces, I'd like to hear your alternative way of getting rid of the massive deficit. It ain't easy.) But 13 years is a long time in office. You start to get tired, you scrape the bottom of the barrel, and yes, let's be honest, some of your members start to feel that sense of entitlement that Harper goes on about. You run out of steam and ideas - that's not good for the country. That's where we are right now, I think. The Martin government has been rather rudderless - but the end of Chretien's last mandate was pretty rudderless, too. It's time for the party to have a bit of a time-out, to examine things from the Opposition benches and to eat some humble pie. The LPC needs to find a new leader with bold new ideas for the country and preferably a vision that the party and the country can really get excited about. We're not going to get that if the Liberals stay in government for any longer.

You know, I'm probably going to disagree with some of what Stephen Harper does. I hope he doesn't screw up the Constitution or Quebec too much, because that would just be disappointing. But you know, it's a chance I'm willing to take. Because the final question is this:

Can my Liberal philosophy be best achieved by another Liberal win? And the answer is no. My Canada is one that includes a strong Quebec and in which all provinces feel respected. It's one with strong social programmes. It's one that leads a principled role on the international stage. And I'm just not convinced that another Liberal win is the best way to achieve that Canada. We need a break to get some new ideas and energy that will resound with other Liberals and with all Canadians. If we need a Conservative government, however temporarily to give us the chance to re-energize so that I can get the Canada I want, I'm willing to take that risk.

VINDICATED UPDATE: Canada's national newspaper tends to agree with me, for the record.

Will four plus years of Harper rule be too long?

I happen to think so. Which is why I hope your vote didn't help elect a CPC MP. It did give the CPC $1.75 no matter what.

A minority CPC government is far more palatable than a Harper majority.

A.L.
www.lastcanadianexit.blogspot.com

I agree with some of your comments as a "Trudeau" Liberal myself. But you should be careful of getting what you want.The last big time Conservative leader in Canadian politic was a guy named Mike Harris who promised change and a Common Sense mouvement.The only thing he did was to shoot Dudley George, and close hospitals, and community centre. Look at the results.

A.L., I agree with you that a CPC minority would be better than a majority - but we'll have to see how things work out. Minorities tend to be hard to get when you want them, it seems.

And to Anonymous, you make a good point. But it's a chance I'm willing to take - which says more, I think, about the sad state of the LPC right now. Hopefully any damage done by a Harper government wouldn't be too catastrophic, and a new, energized Liberal government would be able to move things in a better direction again a few years down the line.

Sorry for Posting anon.

I personally think if Martin ran his campaign on his platform and ideas he would have done alote better.

Every speech I hear from him is, How is is not like Harper, and what Harper will do or not do. (90% anti-harper, 10% his own platform). He mentions Harper so much in every speech. At the TV debate he attacks Harper, instead of telling us about his platform like Harper did.

I just think its a bad idea for Martin to define himself that way. Since people may be voting in fear of what Harper may or may not do, and not voting for what Martin can do.

Hey Ian, it's Critch! (and yes, I have been reading your blog!)...

I was glad to have read your entry and find that you summarized everything that I've been thinking over the last couple of weeks of the campaign - how do we strike a balance between the vision that we have for our country long-term, and the immediate consequences of our actions?

I worry about the state of Canada, as highlighted by this election. I believe that if Canadians were asked which leader best represented the values of our country, they would not say Stephen Harper. However, I agree 100% that there is a need for change, and the time (reluctantly...) is now. Does the LPC deserve a majority? Not at the moment. Will a Liberal minority dispell the worries at the back of Canadians' minds? For a few months, until we see the same old battle fought again...and less people voting as it drags on.

A term in opposition would for sure give them the chance to maybe give Paulie the old heave-ho and reinvigorate their image as something other than worn out politicians believing they are entitled to the power they have.

But what do I fear? The obvious - a Conservative majority. I also believe Canadians want whoever wins to be a minority...but this desire for change that has taken hold over the last 2 weeks or so is turning into a case of positive feedback, getting maybe a little too out of control for my comfort zone. I want to see change, but there are fundamentals core to my being that are bothered by the possibility. Paul certainly dropped the ball by choosing a fear campaign a second time around I believe. Canadians have heard this a billion times over, they get the message...yet they're still leaning Conservative, so wake up Paul!

I think it's safe to say that this is a turning point. A CPC win, well we know that's big for both Canada and the Liberals. An LPC win...well, I don't expect Harper to keep much support as leader after having lost what would be two elections. A new leader closer to the center would for sure push them over the top.

I keep my fingers crossed that we're back at the polls in 2(ish) years with our country intact, some new look/fresh faced parties, and a public that will be engaged in the issues rather than simply pissed off with bothersome politicians.

Paul, Stephen, and Jack...my vote is still up for grabs.

Cheers Ian!
Critch.

PS. Look for me in your parts over the coming months. ;)

Anonymous, I absolutely agree. Almost everything Paul Martin has said this campaign and the way he has said it has just grated on me. The opening statements at the debate I think really showed the difference. In all honesty, there's little new in the Liberal campaign - it's Paul Martin pointing at the good things Liberals have done (remember the 'I like the status quo' remark when asked about plans for small businesses?) and trying to scare people away from the CPC. Not surprisingly, it's not working.

And Critch - insightful as always. Good to hear from you, and looking forward to seeing you (chatted with Adriaan about it today). Take care in the meantime.

I was studying in Cinci last year during the US elections. The democrats had a leader who was "Not Bush" rather than a solid platform, and as much as they tried to scare the Americans from voting republican, they just weren't effective and convincing people that they were a better alternative! I think that although bashing your opposition works, it's important to show your people how you will be a good leader, and what your party will do for your country. Paul Martin has to go. But have any of you considered NDP or Green? I am torn between the two.

You are not only very thoughtful, you are correct. I just finished a post on my own blog on the same topic. The Liberals need a time out to get the stink off of them. Canada needs al least two viable governing alternatives and under the current situation voting Conservative is the only realistic thing to do in this case. We need to have a look at what they can do. The world won't end, the sky won't fall and just maybe, we can get a few new ideas for a change. Good for you.

Last minute sanity .....

It ain’t over until it’s over, folks.

Despite what Allan Gregg and other pollsters would have people believe, there is movement and it isn’t all in favour of the Tories. Hidden in the bowels of several polls are results which show a drop in Harper’s popularity, and a tightening of the race between the Liberals and Tories.

This morning, January 17, Ekos overnight poll showed the national gap had closed to 6%, with both Liberals and NDP rising and Harper’s Tories falling.

In many polls, Atlantic Canada has moved away from the Tories back towards the Liberals. Ontario is divided.

Why the movement? Because the Liberal ads are working – they do show voters have a choice. And because the Tory platform does show in stark terms the nature of the choice – tax cuts for the very wealthy versus hidden cuts of social services. And, of course, a $20 billion gap caused by Harper’s attempt to buy votes in Quebec by funneling federal taxes to that province.

It will only be over on the night of January 23rd, five long days away. Watch that gap closely – it is going to close a lot more.

Wishfull thinking! ....

CuriosityKilledTheCat is in dreaming in technicolor, wake up and smill the coffee. 13 years of the LPC rule is enough.

Politicians are like dipers, they should be changed and for the same reason.

Your thinking is very much in line with what I have been struggling with. As someone who is philosophical centrist but sick of the Liberals - what do I do? I have come to a different conclusion though. I am going to park my vote with the NDP. When the Conservatives are elected, if we have a strong NDP to keep them in check, we may just end up with a centerist result. Or we may end up with a dysfunctional government. I'm willing to give it a chance.

It's encouraging to know that there are other people out there who are having the same struggle that I did and who are looking realistically at the possible outcomes instead of succumbing to the fear tactics and suggestions that anything but a LPC win would mean the end of Canada.

As a recently unemployed individual and as a Canadian, I'm not really of the mentality to look out for the interests of the "well off".

This supposed all for one attitude of the Conservatives doesn't have me fazed in the least. It's the awarded liberities and not effort that has me encroached in red tape.

You have done such a good job of verbalizing how I feel right now. I have voted for the Liberal party for my entire adult life.. in fact I have never know a non-Liberal government in my adult years. As a female, non-Christian Metis woman, I have felt my place has always been within the Liberal Party. But you are right, we need change, we need a new direction.

First and foremost, Canada is a democracy. It means that citizens have the right to choose their vote based on their conscience and not fear-mongering. It is right and just that there is always a balance in the parties, and that power to govern will shift accordingly. There are so many things that has happenned in regard to the Liberal Party that has disgusted me, frustrated me, and made me look somewhere else for a sense of hope. I have not switched my allegiances either... fundamentally I am in the centre... but I can't vote Liberal right now.

Today I have seen the Public Service Alliance endorsing the Bloc, I have seen Buzz Hargrove calling Harper a separtist and in the same breath telling people to vote for the Bloc.. Is not our public service non-political? What has happenned to our country? Am I scared of a Conservative majority? Of course not - because I truly believe that any political party still has to work within the Canadian Parliamentry system.

And, of course I cannot even go into how I feel about the Gomery Inquiry and the long list of other scandals...My hope is that the Liberal Party can find itself once more, and become the party of the majority of Canadians once more.

If I learned anything from the US Election, it's that a couple polls shwoing what you want to see does not make a victory.

That's why I am rejecting EKOS wholeheartedly. Their numbers just seem out of line with every other pollster, and their samples continue to shrink. Not to mention, that when they increased it today (Jan 18), it showed a significant Conservative jump from yesterday.

Hopefully the LBC can find a new voice for the next election. I'm going to give my vote to the Conservatives this time, and yes, it is in a riding that can flip from Red to Blue.

Seems like a lot of voices of what I had been thinking. Liberal has been in power too long... I don't totally agree with Conservatives... but a change wouldn't hurt either. Given the choice I have, I think I am gonna take the chance with a change.

Good design!
[url=http://pdtccsmn.com/qukv/swqk.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://jhhsrxlv.com/qxdk/rtfz.html]Cool site[/url]

Well done!
http://pdtccsmn.com/qukv/swqk.html | http://qgcygnoi.com/tsrd/sweb.html

If anyone has read the 199 reasons not to vote Liberal, and is still
contemplating to vote for these crooks, my suggestion is that they make an immediate appointment with their nearest psychiatrist.Totally unbelieavable.....

It very much appears that the three opposition parties in Ottawa are chomping at the bit to have another federal election 12 months after the last one.If these 3 parties want an early election again and costing the Canadian taxpayers another 200 plus million dollars these idiots should get their heads examined,to place this kind of financial burden on us taxpayers. We are the highest taxpayers in the group of seven countries .What are these dimbulbs thinging of ????

Post a Comment

News Sources

Progressive Bloggers Liblogs

Blogwise - blog directory Blogarama Powered by Blogger