« Home | Wanted: a federalist strategy for Québec » | Layton's foreign policy: withdrawal » | The Sachs plan for ending poverty » | Layton's smile of the day » | Spending in the currency of ideas » | CNN highlights famine in Malawi » | Fighting for a breakthrough » | The campaign from yesterday » | The Ignatieff saga » | Religion as a uniting force » 

Monday, January 09, 2006 

Odds and ends

Well, I'm back to some slightly less sporadic blogging after a reasonably restful Christmas break back in Ontario. The weather didn't co-operate with me and there wasn't really any snow while I was home, but that's OK - if I can take months at a time of grey and rain out here in BC, I can take it back in the Centre of the Universe, too. See on the side, there? That's the snow that I didn't get this Christmas. Looks like plenty of interesting things have happened politically since I retreated from the blogosphere, too. I won't bother commenting too heavily on it all because it's likely been commented on to death, but suffice it to say that I'm not terribly surprised or disappointed in the latest Tory surge. But I'll get more into that later. Did my civic duty, too, and cast my first ballot. Huzzah - not a terribly enthusing election in which to do it, but what can you do?

I read a fantastic book over the holidays called The Trouble with Islam Today, by Irshad Manji - absolutely should be a required read for anyone interested in understanding our world. I don't think it was as relevant to me as it might have been if I was, say, a Muslim, but it was still interesting. Written as an open letter to Manji's fellow Muslims, the book challenges what she sees as mainstream, modern day Islam's rejection of independent thought. It asks good questions about the role of women in Islamic society, the power of the Arabic influence within Islam and the apparent lack of approval for independent interpretation of the Quran. She particularly takes up the cause for ijtihad, the tradition of independent thinking within Islam that ended at the end of that civilization's Golden Age, and begins looking at ways to revive it. It's engaging to read, and it's undoubtedly bold - Manji has received countless death threats due to her writings. My one concern is that she paints Christianity and Judaism as much more open to independent thought - I can't speak for Judaism, but my experience with Christianity suggests to me that that's not always the case. There are certain quarters of Christianity that are still pretty resistant to anything but a literal interpretation of the Bible. At any rate, our world is shaped in many ways by the power of religion, and this book asks some fundamental questions about one of the largest faiths in the world. Her website has lots of interesting reading on it, as well.

Well, I'm off to watch the exciting leader's debate - expectations are pretty low for me for all of the leaders. Is it really that difficult to have a debate instead of either a shouting match or a series of prepared statements read to the camera? Here's to more of the rather boring, banal pablum we've come to expect from our leaders.

UPDATE: Excellent news - Israel has decided to let Palestinians in East Jerusalem vote in the upcoming elections. Hopefully we'll see more of this kind of direction from Kadima, despite having lost Ariel Sharon.

News Sources

Progressive Bloggers Liblogs

Blogwise - blog directory Blogarama Powered by Blogger