« Home | Choose » | Executive powers: the impending decision » | Taking on the school boards » | The future of the sovereigntist project » | Proper hearings for Alito » | Childish games from the CPC » | Important terror update from Australia » | Some good news for once » | How predictable » | The city by the bay » 

Tuesday, November 08, 2005 

Harper insults Canada's veterans

And I've found another reason this morning why Stephen Harper just rubs me completely the wrong way. The Globe is reporting that Harper was overheard criticizing the Remembrance Day poppy. When it wouldn't stay on, he used a small maple leaf pin to keep it attached, and his advisors recommended he remove it. "They only had 80 years to perfect the technology," Harper said, demanding that his entourage get him "a pin that works".

Oh dear - I've heard many rumours and suggestions along the way that Mr Harper can actually get rather mean at times, and this doesn't do anything to lessen that impression. Firstly, why would you say something like that at all, something so disrespectful to the Legion and to our veterans? And secondly, you'd think that as an influential politician, you'd have some savvy to know not to say those kind of things so close to the podium while your mike's still on. Not reassuring at all, Mr Harper.

Aww, I think that's a little nit-picky. I mean, those things really are difficult to keep on sometimes. I lose them constantly. Maybe that's the point, so you'll keep buying more?

why would you say something like that at all, something so disrespectful to the Legion and to our veterans?

Oh for pete's sake. Come. Off. It.

I don't usually take Harper's side except in jest, but this is over the top. Anyone with sense is putting the maple leaf pin in the middle of their poppy these days. In fact, I bought both the poppy and the pin from a Legionnaire.

P.S. your display of the poppy on your site is a violation of trademark. The Legion's going to pin your ass!

I'm just keeeeeeeeeeding

Maybe it's a little nitpicky, point taken. To me it wasn't the fact that he used a maple leaf pin, really - I just took the 80-year comment as a bit disrespectful. It's just not a good thing to say, is all.

And for the record, I'm not a big Martin or Layton fan, either - so don't take this as just some partisan rhetoric. The comments just seemed a little inappropriate to me.

Addendum: I know it's not meant to be an insult to all of our veterans - granted, I used some over-the-top language. It just grated me a bit.

Post a Comment

News Sources

Progressive Bloggers Liblogs

Blogwise - blog directory Blogarama Powered by Blogger